Future Me Summer School
Supported by Worcestershire County Council Virtual School and Severn Arts, hosted by Artrix Arts Centre and delivered by Awake Arts…
A Free Creative Summer School and Showcase for Children and Young People in Care
Partners are delighted to announce a very special week-long summer school aimed at Worcestershire’s children and young people in care, to be delivered during the week of the 5th - 9th August 2019, 9.30am-3.30pm each day and hosted at Artrix Arts Centre, Bromsgrove.
Age groups: 5-8, 9-12, 13-16 years.
Drama and Games – Take part in fun, confidence building sessions designed to help you explore your creativity and get to know others.
Poetry, Spoken Word, Performance – Work with poet Matt Windle to learn about creating poetry and create your own original work.
Visual Arts, Making, Craft – Work with artist Emma Thompson, take part in visual arts and making activity and create your own original art work.
Film, Sound, Digital Art – Work with artist Nicky Prestage, learn technical film and sound recording skills, record original work.
Work will be shared at the end of the week, recordings and original work will be available to take home.
Children and young people will take part in a highly structured but flexible and fun daily programme starting with morning briefings and games, followed by up to three workshop sessions daily – hosted by a lead artist. Children and young people will return together at the end of each day to share work with one another and to prepare for a Future Me showcase on the final day of the summer school.
Lunchtimes will be supervised and there will be an opportunity for children to relax, watch a film or take part in an outdoor sports session. In addition, there will be an opportunity to see a film or live performance hosted by the Artrix as part of their summertime programme.
If you are supporting children and young people who would like to take part in this project, please read the following information and complete and return a registration form by Friday 12th July 2019. There is no expectation that carers stay, but we will ensure that we maintain contact with carers as appropriate.
- Dates: Monday 5th August to Friday 9th August
- Times: 9.30-3.30pm
- Venue: Artrix Arts Centre Slideslow Drive, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, B60 1GN
- Future Me Showcase / Sharing: 1.30-3pm on Friday 9th August (venue as above).
- Lead Artists: Matt Windle (poetry and performance), Nicky Prestage (film, sound, digital), Emma Thompson (visual arts, craft) and Ruth Richardson (drama, games, storytelling).
- Project Leads: Gwen Fennell / Andrea Brew-Smith (Worcestershire County Council) and Ruth Richardson (Awake Arts).
- Age Range: Children and young people from 5-16 years of age. Children and young people living in the same household as targeted children and young people will be able to participate in this programme.
- Cost: Due to the support provided by Worcestershire Virtual School and Severn Arts, this summer school is offered as a free opportunity for Worcestershire children and young people in care.
- Foster Carers: If you have children and young people who live with the targeted children and young people, they are entitled to participate in this activity for free.
- Food and Drinks: Basic refreshments will be provided but carers will be required to provide lunch and a drink for participating children and young people and provide / organise transport to and from the venue. Please ensure children and young people are wearing appropriate, comfortable clothing and have sun cream / waterproof clothing in the event of going outside.
- To Book: Please complete the registration form provided below for each child / young person you would like to attend and return to Andrea Brew-Smith at Worcestershire County Council by Friday 12th July 19.